30th Anniversary Series | Force Unleashed | Vintage Style Figures | Vehicles
Unleashed Battlepacks | Transformers | Galactic Heroes, Titanium & Attacktix
We will start our tour of Hasbro with news that does not directly relate to their line. The entry banner for their showroom was a cool tall banner with Vader, Yoda and Boba on it. We all lined up to take pictures but none of us chose to read the banner. A bit into our tour Daryl DePriest brings us over to the banner to point out a few things. First...the Yoda on the banner is from the animation that is being done on the new cartoon series. This is not your fathers cartoon, that is for sure! Second...and more news breaking than we ever thought...the Boba Fett was attached to the portion of the banner announcing the 2009 live action TV series! Just how prominent young Fett will be in the series is yet to be determined, but yes, it looks like we will be seeing more of our favorite bounty hunter. Now...on to the toys!
30th Anniversary Series
Hasbro had plenty of the basic figure line on display for us right through carded and loose figures in wave 4. Plenty of accessories will come with our figures this year including Umpass-Stay's drum, a moisture evaporator, and yes... two pieces that make up the curved part of the cantina bar!
Hasbro was asked about this year's UGH campaign and we were told that the gold UGH coins will be much more plentiful than last year's pewter style hologram figures. Boy was that good to hear!
Some of the Saga Legends figures were on display today and the big news about
these is that they will not be numbered. All of the figures will be straight
repaints except for some of the droids, the 501st Trooper (now SA), etc...you know,
figures that collectors won't mind a repaint on because we'd buy some more anyway
to add to the armies. This new system and lack of repaints should make it easy for
people to stay away from buying figures they already have.
Here are some of the main points of interest in the line:
- Figures in the Basic Line ($6.99) will include characters from The Phantom Menace all the way through the Return of the Jedi and the Expanded Universe.
- UGH chase will be gold coins and there will be more of them than last year's program.
- Elis Helrot and M'iiyoom Onith will both come with the curved bar section
- Luke Skywalker will be packed with a moisture evaporator
- Saga Legends line will not be numbered
- Concept Darth Vader will come with interchangeable heads
- The Stormtrooper will have a removable helmet
- Jedi Luke will be packed with a bone from the Rancor pit and a have battle damaged hand
- Tatooine Biggs will not come with a cape
The hit of the show was the surprise appearance of the Force Unleashed figures featuring seven figures from the upcoming video game, including a fantastic looking battle-damaged Darth Vader! Based on names floating around the internet these are the figures we saw today:
- Darth Vader – This Vader really has taken on some serious battle damage!
- Heavy Stormtrooper
- Maris Brood
- Samurai Jedi
- Shadow Guard
- Female Imperial Officer
Vintage Style Figures
The Vintage line's featured mail-away offer will please most people this time around. All 6 figures will each have a sticker like last year that needs to be mailed in to Hasbro to receive 6 special coins and a bonus 7th coin exactly like the one that was handed out at Toy Fair today. No missing figures from the collection this year if you choose not to participate and a nice set of coins will be coming you way if you mail it all in.
There were several
new, highly anticipated vehicles on display this year, namely the Sith Infiltrator
and the V-Wing Fighter! Here's the low-down on what's coming up in the next few months...
- The brand new Sith Infiltrator and V-Wing were both on display today and did not disappoint. The Sith Infiltrator has a working cockpit and firing missiles and it also sports wings that lock into attack position and a body that opens up to reveal all its weapons.
- The V-Wing has a working canopy and some great detailing. The mechanism that works the change in the wing formation rotates the wings slowly into and out of position.
- Both vehicles will be $19.99
- Both vehicles should hit stores by the end of March
- Yes...there are more vehicles to come this year. Hasbro could not comment on them but don't be surprised if we see at least one more new vehicle sculpt!
The 7" Unleashed line will consist of the Blackhole Stormtrooper wave and then one more previously released figure will be retooled and offered as an online exclusive. Unfortunately, that will be the last of the 7" line. Details on what we can expect from Unleashed this year...
Original Trilogy characters this year:
- Han and Luke in Stormtrooper Disguise
- Imperial Officers in their Black Uniforms
- Death Star Gunners & TIE Fighter Pilots
- A-Wing and X-Wing Pilots
The Unleashed Battlepacks "Force Unleashed" line will include at least the following:
- Stormtroopers and Heavy Stormtroopers
- Emperor Palpatine
- Samurai Jedi
- Maris Brood
- 3rd Jedi
- Shadow Guards
- Female Imperial Officer
The Transformers line continues in full force with the release of quite a few new sets...
- Dark Jedi / Sith
The following is the new selection of Transformers on display in the showroom
- The Darth Vader / Death Star with 2 TIE Fighters, Darth Vader and Stormtrooper micro-figures
- Snowspeeder / Luke Skywalker
- Mace Windu / Jedi Starfighter
- AT-AT / AT-AT Driver
- Commander Cody / Turbo Tank
- Saesee Tiin / Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive Ring
- Clone Trooper / Republic Gunship
Galactic Heroes, Titaniuim & Attacktix
The young kids toys were not as prominent as in past years, and most of the items up on display were previously released items. There is no indication that these lines are ending any time soon, but with the push of the 30th Anniversary line these seem to have taken a back seat here at Toy Fair for now.
- No new Galactic Heroes were shown.
- A very small sampling of the Star Wars Attacktix was on display.
- No new Titanium vehicles were on display but expect in the neighborhood of 40 vehicles for 2007.
- None of the Titanium figures that were showcased at the SDCC that have not reached retail to date will be released.
-Back to Top-